ODEJA, 85 YEARS WITH YOU
Odeja has grown from a small workshop, founded at the beginning of the previous century in the centre of a wonderful medieval town of Škofja Loka in Slovenia.
The first origins date back to the year 1927, when Rado Thaler, a businessman from Škofja Loka, hired some workers and organised a manual production of quilts in a near shack and thus complemented the supply in his stores.
Five years later, in 1932, the manufacture officially became a factory producing quilts. The company has worked under Thaler’s leadership until the end of World War 2, when the national government of Slovenia took the factory in state administration in 1945. In that time, the company employed 23 workers and annually produced 21,000 quilts.
The five-year period 1967-1972 was the time of progress for Odeja in all areas of operation. The production programme of uppermattresses was expanded (a novelty in Yugoslavian market at that time), which enabled a more continuous work throughout the year.
The large amount of work required the construction of a new factory in Trata, where 130 workers moved in 1973.
When the market grew more and more demanding, the company felt the need of their own development department, which brought changes with the product mix. We invested a lot in hardware and new technologies, which enabled the manufacture of new products and increasing productivity.
After the independence, there was an increase in the regularity and quality of products and business in accordance with the international ISO 9001 standards, which brought us the certificate of system quality in 1998.
In our archive we keep a document from 1933, which means a craft permission for machine-made and hand-made quilted quilts:
Today, Odeja employs almost 90 people and is a successful and modern textile company with the development and production facilities in Slovenia and presence in global markets.